Have a good photo of one of these recipes? Contact us to submit it!
Tortilla Crust Quiche with Vegetables
3 or 4 large tortillas (corn or flour – your choice)
Your choice of CSA vegetable(s) (or a combination of them!)
- Greens – one or two bunches
- Sweet potato about 1 lb
- Potatoes – about 1 lb
- Winter squash – about 1 lb
- Scallions, onions – add for extra flavor
Your choice of seasonings:
- Garlic – nice with sweet potatoes, greens
- Herbs – rosemary and/or oregano would be nice with potatoes, cilantro, parsley
- Spices – cumin, pepper, salt, hot pepper flakes
Your choice of grated or crumbled cheese- 3 oz of:
- Cheddar or Jack – good with sweet potatoes
- Gruyere – good with greens
- Goat cheese – good with potatoes
- Olive oil – 1-2 tbsp
- 1 ½ c milk
- 3 eggs
1) Prepare your vegetables and let them cool. Dice and roast sweet potatoes, potatoes, squash, with olive oil and garlic if using, at 400 for 20-30 minutes (until soft). Sautee greens with garlic and olive oil until wilted. Squeeze out excess moisture.
2) Preheat the oven to 375
3) Line a pie plate or baking dish with tortillas, overlapping them a bit – this will be your “crust.” (Don’t use a springform pan.) Let the edges of the tortillas hang over the lip of the dish – they’ll get nice and crispy.
4) Prepare the quiche mixture- briefly whisk together eggs, milk, onions/scallions, salt and pepper, herbs
5) Fill the pie. Spread the prepared vegetables in the pie and top with grated or crumbled cheese. Pour the quiche mixture over everything. Don’t worry if it seeps underneath the tortillas.
6) Bake until filling is set – about 40 minutes at 375. Sprinkle with additional herbs, if you like. Serve hot or cold.
Adapted from Vegetable Planet by Didi Emmons
Submitted by Paula Redinger, Tucson CSA