Have a good photo of one of these recipes? Contact us to submit it!
Summer Squash and Spicy Citrus Pesto Salad
- 1 share summer squash (4-5 small squash)
- 2 loose cups of basil
- 1 jalapeno lightly chopped
- 1/3-1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or whole pine nuts
- 3 cloves of garlic (roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt and
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of one lemon, juice from half the lemon
Blend basil, jalapeno, garlic, 1/4 cup nuts, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/3 cup of olive oil in a food processor or blender until it becomes a fine paste. Thinly slice the summer squash into ribbons. Toss summer squash with about 1/2 cup of the pesto or to taste.
Add lemon zest and juice to the salad. Add remaining nuts and toss. Check seasonings to taste.
If this makes more pesto than you can use for the squash, it will easily keep for at least a week in the fridge. Use it on pasta, rice, or other dishes.
Submitted by Kumi Rao, Tucson CSA