Have a good photo of one of these recipes? Contact us to submit it!
Shortcut Okra Jambalaya
Use leftover cooked rice for this easy recipe.
- 1 basket okra, cleaned and chopped
- 2-3 tomatoes, cleaned and chopped
- 1 small bell pepper or hot pepper, diced 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans (or use leftover chicken or sausage)
- About 1/4 broth or water 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin, red chili, paprika, black pepper, oregano and thyme
- Salt to taste
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, add okra and onions. Sauté for about 5 minutes then add tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, spices and broth. Stir well, cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook for about 7 minutes, adding water if necessary to keep vegetables from sticking. Add beans (or chicken or sausage) and rice and a bit more both or water if necessary to moisten. Cook, stirring frequently until rice is heated through. Add salt to taste and serve.
Submitted by Sara Jones, Tucson CSA