Have a good photo of one of these recipes? Contact us to submit it!
Poached Ginger Pears
You can alter this basic recipe in any number of ways. Using red wine will give the pears a nice color, add different spices or use citrus, too.
- 2 cups white wine or apple juice
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup sugar
- 1-2 inches freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium or 6 small pears, peeled and halved
- About ¾ cup mascarpone, greek yogurt or crème fraiche
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
In a medium saucepan, bring wine or juice, water, sugar, vanilla and ginger to a boil. Add pears and reduce heat to medium low. Cook for about 15-20 minutes until tender when pierced by a fork. Remove pears from liquid, return liquid to a boil and cook until reduced to about 1 cup syrup. Use a spoon to core pears. To serve, place pears on a plate, drizzle with a little syrup, add a dollop of yogurt and sprinkle with almonds.
Submitted by Sara Jones, Tucson CSA