Have a good photo of one of these recipes? Contact us to submit it!
You can use a variety of different summer vegetables in this dish. You could also use melon and/or cucumber to add more texture and flavor to the classic tomato based dish.
- 2 to 3 mixed red and green tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 tomatillos, cut into wedges
- 1 medium cucumber, cut into half moons
- 1 large or 2-3 small onions, diced
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 slices stale bread, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mix vegetables together, drizzle with the vinegar, one tablespoon of the oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Heat the remaining one tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bread cubes to skillet and stir to coat with oil. Sprinkle bread with herbs and spices, and cook, stirring occasionally until crispy and beginning to brown. Add hot bread directly to vegetables and toss to combine. Serve at room temperature.
Submitted by Sara Jones, Tucson CSA