Have a good photo of one of these recipes? Contact us to submit it!
Orange-Cinnamon French Toast
- 4 1″ Thick Slices Stale Rustic Bread such as Barrio Bread’s Pain au Levain
- 2 Extra Large Eggs preferably pastured
- 1/2 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Raw sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Orange Zest
- 2 Teaspoons Orange Juice freshly squeezed
- 1/8 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Teaspoons Salted Butter
- 2 Teaspoons Coconut Oil
- Powdered Sugar and/or Maple Syrup for serving
- Crack the eggs and put them into a medium-sized bowl with the milk, sugar, orange zest, orange juice, and ground cinnamon. Whisk everything together until it is evenly combined.
- Place the bread in a shallow baking dish in an even layer so that the slices do not overlap. Pour the egg mixture over the bread slices and flip each slice of bread to the other side. Allow the slices to soak in the egg mixture for 12 minutes, flipping every 3 minutes.
- When the bread is thoroughly soaked through, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and coconut oil to the skillet. Once the butter and coconut oil melt and begin to bubble, add the slices of French toast to the skillet, ensuring that they do not overlap (depending on the size of your skillet, you may need to cook the French toast in batches). Cook the French toast for 3 minutes on each side, or until each side is golden brown.
- Serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and real maple syrup.