Have a good photo of one of these recipes? Contact us to submit it!
Old Fashion Maine Mustard Pickles
Here’s a super easy recipe for slightly spicy, very crunchy pickles from a gal I worked with at a boatyard in Maine.
- 2 heaping tablespoons sugar
- 1 heaping tablespoon canning salt
- 1 heaping tablespoon dry mustard
- apple cider vinegar- enough to fill quart jar packed with cucumbers 2/3 full
- cold water- enough to top off quart jar of cucumbers
Cut cukes into quarters, spears, or use small cukes. Pack into quart size jar. Add dry ingredients. Fill jar 2/3 with cider vinegar. Then add cold water to fill the jar to the brim. Shake well, and again shake jars every once in a while for the next 24 hrs or whenever you think of it. (If you keep them somewhere easily visible, just give ’em a shake everytime to pass by.)
I also like to add at least a heaping tablespoon of chopped garlic or several individual cloves, and sometimes a red chile or two.
Since these aren’t cooked or actually canned, it’s best to keep them in the fridge for storage.
Submitted by Kristin Terpening, Tucson CSA