Have a good photo of one of these recipes? Contact us to submit it!
This colorful salsa is a nice way to use melon in a savory, rather than sweet, setting. It’s good on chips, with quesadillas or served on top of chicken or fish.
- 1/4 melon, peeled, seeded and diced into 1/2 inch or smaller dice (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 jicama, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch or smaller dice (one generous cup)
- 3 tomatillos, husked and diced into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 small Glendale gold onion or 1/2 large onion, minced fine
- 1 large garlic clove, minced fine
- 1/2 – 2 serrano peppers, minced fine (adjust heat to your liking)
- Juice of one lime
- Salt, pepper and ground chile powde,r to taste
Combine everything in a non-metal bowl. Eat immediately, or let sit (refrigerated) for more heat and better flavor. The jicama can be replaced with more melon, but it adds a nice crunch. Other ingredients are also versatile – use tomatoes instead of tomatillos, add different peppers, throw in some cilantro – whatever you have on hand. This recipe may easily be scaled up to use an entire melon and a whole share of tomatillos.
Submitted by Nicole Baugh, Tucson CSA