Have a good photo of one of these recipes? Contact us to submit it!
Fideo Soup with Greens and Cauliflower
Smoked paprika is an excellent seasoning for cooked greens, especially collards or kale. This recipe can be adapted to a wide range of winter vegetables and can easily use a full bunch or two of greens. Add broccoli, cabbage or cauliflower for variety.
- 2 large handfuls broccoli and/or cauliflower, chopped
- 1-2 bunches greens or 1/2 cabbage, cleaned and chopped
- 1 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can beans, drained and rinsed
- About 2 quarts broth or water
- About 1/3 package angel hair pasta, broken into 2” pieces or 1/2 package fideo noodles
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 + tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large saucepan, sauté onion and celery in generous tablespoon of oil over medium high heat until beginning to brown. Push to one side and add tomato paste to pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until paste has darkened a shade or two. Add garlic, herbs and about two quarts water or broth. Stir in beans and cauliflower (if using kale, collards or cabbage add those greens as well). Bring to a low simmer and cook for about 15 minutes. Once veggies are mostly tender stir in any more delicate greens like chard. Heat another generous tablespoon of oil in a heavy skillet over medium high heat. Once skillet is hot, add pasta and toss well to coat. Stir and shake pasta in pan to try and toast noodles evenly. When noodles are golden brown to brown remove from heat, add paprika and stir well. Immediately add noodles to soup and raise heat to high to bring to a boil. Cook about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until noodles are cooked. Season with salt and pepper and a drizzle of sherry vinegar, if desired.
Submitted by Sara Jones