Have a good photo of one of these recipes? Contact us to submit it!
Beet and Melon Slaw
In winter, I like to make this dish with carrots and citrus, instead of the melon. We don’t normally get beets and melons in the same season, so it is a treat to be able to pair them together. Use your honey yellow melon for this dish, as the flesh is much firmer. You can cook your beets before you use them for this recipe or simply grate them raw.
- 1 bunch beets, cleaned and grated
- 1/2 medium melon, peeled, seeds removed and cut into a
- julienne or grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- 1 pinch ground coriander
- 1/2 cup yogurt, or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Cashews or pistachios, chopped
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
Mix together first 7 ingredients and let sit for at least 30 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and nuts before serving.
Submitted by Sara Jones, Tucson CSA